Award-winning creative director. 15 years of experience executing strategic marketing objectives for hospitality, resort, lifestyle, and entertainment brands across the United States. A tactical decision-maker, effective in communication with internal employees and outside vendors. Fostered relationships, hired and developed talent, negotiated contracts, and planned large-scale events for 40 plus brands. Tech-savvy with mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and the ability to adapt and learn new software as needed.
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST | COACHELLA VALLEY WATER DISTRICT | FEB 2019 – PRESENT
Oversee internal communications to over 500 employees through digital, print, and video media. Collaborate and lead other departments (HR, Finance, Mechanical Shop/Sanitation, IT, Water Management) in branding and communication projects specific to each department. Redesigned the District’s yearly Annual Review, Calendar, and Budget Book to create a more streamlined and sophisticated look. Created a new Budget-in-Brief document to highlight CVWD’s services, capital expenses, and achievements in a condensed unique brochure-style piece of collateral with unique folds, bright colors, and eye-catching graphics.
- Wrote and designed CVWD’s first branding guide and currently developing brand training presentations for other departments
- Redesigned quarterly employee magazine and biweekly newsletter elevating the District’s look and increasing readership and engagement
- Currently researching employee interest in an internal blog with regular email and text updates to reach field workers and those without computer access
- Wrote, directed, and edited a creative employee short-film solely to increase employee morale and entertain guests at annual holiday party
- Quick response to COVID-19 pandemic creating messaging for employees and customers and distributing via web, video loops, printed publications, and signage
CREATIVE DIRECTOR | CORD MEDIA COMPANY | DEC 2012 – FEB 2019
Grew the hospitality and entertainment tech vertical of the agency. Senior leader in client relations, presentations, new business acquisition, talent procurement, and external negotiations. Created content for agency response to new business proposals. Drafted budgets for advertising materials, marketing plans, and productions. Spoke on panels and at events about best branding practices. Managed graphic designers to create award-winning creative messaging unique to each client and its needs. Led advertising/marketing campaign execution across print, television, digital, social, and web. Established policies and procedures that increased operational efficiency. Motivated and managed a team of 6 employees through professional development and creative inspiration increasing employee retention.
- Wrote 60 new business and budget proposals and 20 marketing plans
- Signed over 12 new clients totaling millions of dollars in gross revenue
- Wrote 10 brand standards guides and created 10 press kits for hotels, casino resorts, products, and special events
- Executed brand launches for 6 new restaurants, 5 slot machine cabinets, 1 city, 1 hotel opening, and 1 beverage company
- Managed new advertising campaigns for 9 casinos in 4 states a total of 11 times
- Produced and directed 15 video and photography productions grossing over $2.5 MM for the agency
- Won over 25 awards including American Advertising Awards, Tellys, Daveys, and Communicators
EXECUTIVE BOARD MEMBER/CHAIR | DESERT ADVERTISING FEDERATION | 2013 – PRESENT
Lead creative and communications. Guide board members in responsibilities. Co-chair of American Advertising Awards.
- Rebranded district logo and communications with a modern voice
- Produced American Advertising Awards including advertising, invitations, social media, gift giveaways, event script/run-of-show; motion graphics, and awards
- Effectively converted the awards show into a profitable function for Palm Springs/Desert Cities district
ART DIRECTOR | AGUA CALIENTE BAND OF CAHUILLA INDIANS | MAY 2006 – DEC 2012
Implemented brand guidelines and standards for Agua Caliente Casino • Resort • Spa, Spa Resort Casino, and the Agua Caliente Band of Cahuilla Indian’s tribal entities including golf courses. Managed the creation and art direction of advertising campaigns including logos, invitations, print advertising, television, web design and all associated collateral. Supervised and direct in-house graphic artists. Ensured compliance with production timelines, budget parameters, co-op agreements, and gaming regulations. Represented the agency in meetings with executive directors, tribal council, and external production contacts to establish unique and lasting brands for both casino resort properties and tribal entities.
- Opened the 4-Diamond resort in Rancho Mirage. Team accomplishments include: Over 100,000 pieces of collateral, over 15 retail/directional/monument signs, 56 FAM tours, 32 hardhat tours, 17 VIP tours, 38 press releases and 16 media alerts
- Led branding and grand opening launch for Vegas-style entertainment showroom, The Show. The 2,008 seat showroom sold out night after night with acts including, Billie Joel, Martina McBride, Matchbox 20, and Reba McEntire.
- Launched two new casino websites and created maintenance standards for timely up-to-date communications including press and brand standards pages
- Garnered press attention and close to 30 American Advertising Awards for VIP and tribal special event materials resulting in increased “coin-in”
GRAPHIC DESIGNER | SPOTLIGHT 29 CASINO | JULY 2005 – MAY 2006
Created visual communications throughout the casino and in player correspondence. Created logos, brochures, invitations, and customer service aids for promotional and entertainment events. Contributed to graphic development for TV, print, outdoor, promotional offers, and direct mail marketing programs. Collaborated across departments and with vendors creating consistent brand messaging.
- Elevated direct mail quality in both design and messaging while decreasing budgets and timelines
- Designed and launched new templates for monthly newsletter increasing player response
- Budgeted for and purchased new technology to increase productivity and output of design department
2004 | MASTER OF ARTS – ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY
Emphasis in advertising design, video/photography production and marketing strategy
2002 | BACHELOR OF ARTS – UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
SUMMA CUM LAUDE | WITH HONORS | SENIOR OF THE YEAR/MEDIA ARTS
2016 | CASINO MARKETING CERTIFICATION
SYCUAN INSTITUTE OF TRIBAL GAMING – SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY